Alzheimer’s is an insidious disease that slowly unravels the mind and the self. It shakes families to the core, and forces them to adapt in smart and meaningful ways.
While scientists work feverishly to stop Alzheimer’s, there is much to be done for families right now. With funding from MetLife Foundation and in partnership with Cure Alzheimer’s Fund, executive producer David Shenk recruited four world-class filmmakers to produce short films, true-life stories, about how individuals and families cope. Greg O’Brien and his family were the subject of a short film produced by legendary documentary producer Steve James. The film is titled, “A Place Called Pluto,” and can be viewed on-line at: livingwithalz.org.
Other Living With Alzheimer’s filmmakers include: Oscar-winning producer Roger Ross Williams; Oscar-winning director Megan Mylan; and Emmy-winning Naomi Boak.
(Resource guide is courtesy of David Shenk and Living With Alzheimer’s project.)
Learning About Alzheimer’s
- A Quick Look At Alzheimer’s Disease: Five ‘Pocket’ Films to Increase Understanding of a 21st Century Epidemic
- NIH — What is Alzheimer’s Disease?
- The Forgetting, by David Shenk
- Alzheimer’s Association — What is Alzheimer’s?
- Understanding Alzheimer’s: A guide for families, friends, and health care providers
Statistics and Data
- Alzheimer’s Disease, National Center for Health Statistics
- Statistics About Alzheimer’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Association
- The Silver Book, Alliance for Aging Research
- ADEAR Clinical Trials Database, National Institute on Aging
- Clinical Trials, The Alzheimer’s Information Site
Latest News and Research
- Alzheimer’s Association Research Center
- Alzheimer’s Research Forum
- Updates from Cure Alzheimer’s Fund
- Key Research Findings in 2012, by Rudolph E. Tanzi, PhD
- Glen Campbell…I’ll Be Me, award-winning documentary directed by actor-filmmaker James Keach, produced by Trevor Albert
- Understanding Alzheimer’s: Five ‘Pocket’ Films,
- directed by David Shenk
- PBS’s The Forgetting, directed by Elizabeth Arledge
- Away from Her, directed by Sarah Polley
Treatment and Prevention
- Alzheimer’s Disease Medications Fact Sheet, National Institute on Aging
- Alzheimer’s Disease: Treatment Overview, WebMD
- Medications for Memory Loss, Alzheimer’s Association
- Alternative Treatments for Alzheimer’s
- Caregiving strategies
- Find an in-person support group in your area
- Online support groups
- Live contact: phone, chat, or skype with a licensed social worker